Living in a city means having less space to call one's own - so out of necessity, we spend quite a lot of time outside our own home. As baby grows, I'll be looking more and more for spaces that are kid-friendly (offering play, perhaps toys, etc.) as well as dog-friendly. We are one family, and we try to avoid places in which one of our members isn't welcome.
I'll indicate in this list in italics which places we have actually tested & visited; other places we have only heard / read about. BIG THANK YOU to all on Facebook (Bristol Dog Community) and friends who have contributed to this list!
|Family pic at Brean Down|
- Beaches! Especially in winter (invest in good gear), when more beaches are open to dogs (Sept-March normally).
- Weston-Super-Mare. (year round) Like it, but can get busy and the donkey rides don't mix with a hound that has a strong hunting instinct.
- Brean. (year round) Firm favourite of ours - go to the very end, by Brean Down, where you can park for £3 all day and there's a seating area, toilets, and a shop.
- Sand Bay. (year round) At Weston Super Mare
- Playgrounds - mostly dog free, but a few exceptions...
- Skate park playground in Victoria Park
- The little playground at Ashton Court. Ashton Court is fantastic anyway, great open space and the cafe allows dogs in the courtyard!
- Old Down Country Park accept dogs.
- Oldbury Court / Snuff Mills (Vassels Park) - has a playground, cafe and toilet facilities. Great dog walking along the stream!
- East Somerset steam railway do too.
|Fred at Ashton Court.|
- Ashton Court cafe is good as you can sit outside.
- Beese's Bar & Tea Gardens, Bristlington. Have seen it only from the outside as it was closed when I went, but have heard good things about its dog friendliness - that they even sell dog toys / chews! It's right at the river, a very picturesque location, and great dog walking in the grounds nearby!
- Boston Tea Party allow dogs in all their branches. The one on Gloucester Road is nice and roomy, also is great as there is a space at the back with clear floor and a few toys where the baby can play.
- Mrs Browns in Victoria Park but they only open 3 seasons. It's by the playground and is very dog and child friendly.
- Cafe at Arnos Vale
- The Canteen on Gloucester Road - I've just learned that they allow dogs inside and out, that's fantastic news! I've been to the Canteen (without dog) and had the best risotto I've ever eaten. Vegan choices every day!
- Grounded in Bedminster might be dog friendly (there's various branches around Bristol)... ring ahead to double check.
- Harts Bakery at the station seems to be dog friendly.
- The Lounges used to be, now some are some aren't - up to the manager. Ring ahead! Bedminster and Totterdown currently dog friendly; Cotham and Westbury-on-Trym are NOT.
- Playground Coffee House, a lovely little coffee shop just off Corn Street.
- Roll for the Soul near Broadmead is dog friendly. They also have vegan cakes so a big win in my book, must go try them soon!
Lots of dog friendly pubs which open during the day and do coffee but that will only last you a while before little one needs more to do!
- Brewdog in town will even tweet a picture of your dog if you visit.
- Somerset House, Clifton Village - downstairs only for dogs, thanks Anni for the tip!
- The Bird in Hand, Long Ashton. Thanks Anni for the tip!
- The Imp - Southville. Thanks to Brittle Ink for the tip!
- The Jolly Sailor Pub in Saltford - great place for food and dog friendly. Just off the cycle track. Ideal for a nice relatively flat walk (if using a push chair) then lunch, or a drink, indoors?
- The Hen & Chicken, Southville - not just for comedy any more (although we have enjoyed that before), the eatery is dog friendly although I doubt that the comedy venue is... thanks Anni for the tip!
- The Hope & Anchor Hotwells - halfway up Jacobs Wells Road, this could be a great place to visit after romping about in the park at Brandon Hill... thanks AV for the tip!
- The Kings Arms at the very top of Whiteladies Road, by the Downs. Two resident lurchers!
- The King William near Queens Square. Nice and central!
- The Lazy Dog pub in Horfield - lovely pub.. Totally doggie friendly and everyone is lovely.
- The Nova Scotia - Harbourside. Thanks to Brittle Ink for the tip!
- The Spotted Cow in North Street, Bedminster. Thanks Anni for the tip!
- The Stable Pizza - harbourside, so nice and central, it's not a pub but a proper restaurant! Thanks Anni for the tip.
- The Victoria Park pub and the Windmill pub, both in Windmill Hill.
- The White Hart at Acton - dog friendly and lovely walks in ancient woodland nearby, with fields where the dog can run free and footpaths going for miles.
- Pets at Home is interesting for toddlers and you can take the dog.