Wednesday 3 April 2013

A time to give

While spending some quiet time with God today, a thought came to me... this new season I've just entered, it will be a time characterised by giving.

That is a very personal-to-me revelation that goes beyond the obvious. Of course being married means giving to the other. But there's more, for me.

Since becoming a Christian 11 years ago, I've been surrounded by givers: people who generously, tirelessly, lovingly built and invested into my life. God has completely changed me on the inside, not least through those people who came into my life. You wouldn't recognise me, my views, thoughts, and feelings from before I knew Jesus; and this didn't happen in isolation but through people, givers, the church.

I've been taking, receiving.

That's not wrong or bad, I think I simply needed that much time and investment - I was that messed up. God knew that. And when he knew I was ready to start giving, and Mr. was ready too, he put us together. And this morning I knew that giving would outweigh receiving for me from now on - mostly, not always, of course.

Mr. gives generously, all the time. He serves others joyfully, always has, even before he was a Christian. It's who he is, and one of the things I love about him. He doesn't need to learn how... but I do. How do you go from being a taker to being a giver? Shift from looking for your own blessings to looking to bless others?

Even as I write this I wonder if I'm being too harsh. In the last few years, I did give and serve. To be clear, I'm not saying I never used to bless others, and neither am I saying I will never receive from others again. But I do feel I've been told, quite clearly, that a shift has happened. Time to invest, give, bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing!